Saturday, October 07, 2006

August 16 - Farewell, City of the Angels

After some back-and-forth twicking of my travel schedule, I finally set the leaving date at 8/16. It was one day earlier than my second-to-final-version of plan, and I added this day to allow one more day in Las Vegas, for a baseball game (More about this in a separate article about the real-life miracle, Taiwaness pitcher Hung-chih Kuo).

I settled on this schedule the week before leaving, and expediated selling, storing, giving away, or packing and shipping my belongings during the weekend before. That was exhausting work. I remember the very morning of leaving, I woke up early with a very sore back. The back pain had become worse since I sold my bed and slept on the floor for 10 days. In spite of that, I was very excited about the upcoming big advanture, so I woke up early, not really sure if I slept last night.

Gradually I brought the last batch of my belongings downstair and squeezed them into my car. Oops! Something was wrong here. After the lugguages got filled, they became fatter and I could not load things as I planned into my trunk. I had to change the plan and shift things around, and luckily I found a way to fill them into the trunk and the back seats. The car was more crowded then I thought it would be, as shown in these pictures.






But it is still in drivable condition. Clearly, nothing should block the eyesight from the mirror. Here is a solid proof:


For one last time I looked up at what soon will be my ex-apartment, and memories combined with all sorts of taste swept me away. I ran across the street and took a good look of the six-story apartment. This was the time to say goodbye at last.

With little extra delay I started the engine and once again followed the road from my place to I-10. I have been driving this direction everyday to school and this is just familiar to me. However, as I realized this is probably my last time driving on this road, I tried to be more attentive to things around, although this was unnecessary. I was too familiar with what's on this road and I could easily recall what is in the plazas when I passed by.

I hopped onto I-10 and followed the congested traffic one last time in LA. The first stop I made was a Chinese style breakfast place. I knew these places for long time, but rarely came here because I didn't really feel the need. It is so close that I can come any time I like. Sometimes, the thought of being able to access these home food is good enough to keep me happy, and I don't really have to eat it. Well, not any more. This was my memorable last meal at LA:



Just to be on the safe side, I quickly visited the mechanics who tuned up my cars for a last-minute check. He gave me the final green light, so I was sure it is save to go. I went further East, leaving the familiar part of LA behind and heading to my first stop, Las Vegas. I kept the radio on K-Mozart 105.1, my favorite station at LA. I drove with pleasant classic music along the way on I-10 then I-15, and gradually the music died away, replaced by the static noice. I tried to switch back and forth between K-Mozart and KOST 103.5 or KFWB 980. Those were the stations I regularly listened to. I was able to pick up something from time to time, but after a short time nothing was available anymore. The last bit of connection between me and LA was gone, and I knew I have 15 days of advanture into the unkown ahead.

Not sure if it was due to the excitement of the pending trip, I drove faster than usual on that day. The traffic was light on the Wednesday on I-15, and I breezed through the barren land between LA and Vegas. I reached Vegas in four hours including a snack break at the rest area in the middle of desert and a gas station stop. That was a good beginning of the driving trip.



No comments: