Wednesday, November 08, 2006

8/21 - Bryce Canyon National Park (1)

Today I woke up at around 6 A.M. I went to bed early last night partly due to the long hiking I had, but mostly because I wanted to wake up early enough to see the sunrise at the Sunrise Point in Bryce Canyon NP. Almost every information source I referred to recommend it. In the book I brought with me, it says (about the Sunrise and Sunset Points), "At their appointed hours, these overlooks are irresistible.... Unless you are utterly jaded, don't pass these off as mere cliches." I checked the sunrise time online and figured that waking up at 6 would be good enough to catch it before going to bed.

However, when I stepped out of the room, it was obviously to bright outside considering there was more than one hour to the sunrise. I checked the alarm clock in the room and realized it hadn't been adjusted for daylight saving time. I should be more careful about that! I was really kicking myself on the way to Bryce Canyon, but there was obviously no way to turn the clock back.

The viewpoints-hopping tour

When I arrived at the park entrance the ranger at the toll station greeted me with a nice smile saying I was really early. I told her I was in fact late for the sunrise, reminded about the clock incident again. When I finally arrived at the sunrise point, the sun was already high in the sky hidden in the clouds, and there were plenty of visitors down in the canyon. It was my first glance at the Bryce Canyon. Although I was late, the canyon at the sunrise point still glowed under the morning sunlight. It has plenty of rocks in interesting formations. All of them appear very similar yet none of them are exactly the same. Some spikes atop of the stone piles reminded me bamboo shoots, some set of columns of stones appeared like ruins of an ancient palace, and most interestingly, some stone piles has a small, white, round stone on top of a larger, red, long up-side-down cone. They resemble the figures of gigantic human statues. In fact, later I learned in the visitor center that there was indeed such legend that someone allured bad guys into the canyon and turned them into stone as punishments for their deeds.

The sunrise point after the sunrise

Early birds hike down the canyon in a cool morning

Formation of the stones in Bryce Canyon makes an interesting subject of study

I thought about hiking down the canyon and join the visitors underneath there but soon remembered the lesson from yesterday. The sun was getting higher into the sky, and I probably should postpone the hike until late afternoon. So I just walked along the rim trail to get different views down into the canyon as the starter. There were significant fewer visitors here as compared to Zion, since I had left the major interstate highways and entered the backcountry part of Utah. These places are not easily accessible, and I hoped they can make a good experience that is worth the detour.

Next to a small pavilion on the trail, I saw two quotes put up on the wall:

"I need solitude. I have come forth to this hill.... to see the forms of the mountains on the horizon - to behold and commune with something grander than man."

"Silence alone is worthy to be heard."

Both quotes are from Henry David Thoreau. They fit nicely with the scene in front of me. If this is the type of trip experience you are looking for, put the national parks in Utah on your wish list.

Since it was getting hot I walked back to my car and followed the suggestion of my tour book. When visiting the vista points along the Bryce Canyon, it is better to drive to the southmost point in the park first, and visit all the vista points on your right (as the canyon lies in the East) one by one on the way back up. I hit each of the vista points of the south part of the park to take in various view. The drive is not that long as Bryce is a small park. On the way back, I also saw a group of deers along the roadside.
The first stone arch I saw on this trip. There are many more to appear later.
Deers playing merrily with each other.

The Ruby Inn

It was a clear sky when the sun moved high, and it became unbearably hot. I retreated to the Ruby Inn, which is perhaps the closest lodging to the Bryce Canyon NP available. This is a perfect location for park visitors, but I did not stay here due to the high cost (100+ dollars per night, and I tried with Priceline but failed). However, I could use some rest here and eat something at the moment.

They have a gift shop with various interesting Indian stuff. I wandered around the shop and looked at various objects, imagining which objects fit into what kind of setting. This is the usual way I browse gift shops - Not only trying to find something I like, but also coming up with my own way to dispose each item if I have it. There were plenty of things to think for in the shop, so it turned out to be a good rest for my over-heated body. Then I moved on to the lobby of the Ruby Inn, and sit there to finish my postcard at this stop. I had decided to send a postcard home at each of the stop I made, so it makes a good supplement to photos and souvenirs as parts of my collections for this trip. The lobby of Ruby Inn is decorated just right to match with the setting of this hotel - A historic site (established 90 years ago!) at a far-away but well-renowned attraction. I could feel a welcoming atmosphere with a good balance and blend of the old-timer and the modern renovation. I liked this place from the first sight.

Some beautiful objects at the shop in the Ruby Inn
Decorations at the lobby of the Ruby Inn
The lighting in the lobby combines the natural light with lamps
The lobby at the Ruby Inn

More View-points

After a good rest at the Ruby Inn, I headed back to Bryce Canyon to pick up the view at the remaining view points. I left out the Bryce Point and the Inspiration Points in the morning because they are easily accessible (close to the park entrance). And I was really happen that I kept the best for the last.

The views at these two points are magnificent. Standing tall at the top of the cliff, I saw all the rocks lay underneath in the canyon. The rocks stand there in a tidy formation, and I felt like a king reviewing my huge army of stone soldiers waiting for my command in the valley.

I think I should save my words and let the pictures speak at this point. After all, it is hard to describe the beauty of these national parks unless you see it yourself. People say a picture is worth a thousand words, and that certainly applies here.

Panorama at the Bryce Point

Panorama at the Inspiration Point

I with my stone army at the Bryce Point
A close-up view for the Bryce Point

No comments: