Saturday, April 14, 2007

8/30 - the ending

I waived goodbye with my friends and headed south early in the morning. Before leaving the city, of course, I must visit the home of Atlanta Braves, the great legend in 1990s and 2000s who captured the division title in 14 straight seasons. I drove to the Turner Field and took a few shots. This was the last baseball stadium I visited on the trip.

Turner Field, where the legend of perennial NL East champion is born.

This Olympic five-ring logo sits close to the Turner Field. It was the only sign I saw to remind me the Olympic Games was here in 1996.

I drove with a funny mood this day. I knew that after being on road for so many days, finally I was coming home - A home I had never been, and even didn't know how it looks like. Nonetheless, I was still excited about finally getting there. The drive turned out to be longer than I thought. Although Georgia and Florida are contiguous states, Atlanta is in the northern part of Georgia. I spent most of the morning in Georgia, wondering where the state border is, and finally, I crossed the border in the early afternoon.

Welcome to Florida, the Sunshine State, and the new place I call home in US.

Being a popular tour destination, I could see Florida really makes huge effort to make a nice welcome center at the state border. First impression is important.

Hmmm.... This is really the best setup at the welcome centers I saw on the road.

I put down my "official record" of entering the state on the guest book. A picture for the proof.

As I had south from the state border, I felt I become impatient about driving. I really wished I could warp across space and arrive at the destination immediately. Just a bit longer, just a bit longer, I told myself for like the thirtieth times. With the passing of every sign on the highway, there were new clues that I was closer. And my mood lifted with that.

After so many days, finally I saw the familiar I-10 again, at the other end.

Finally, Gainesville was on the radar.

U of Florida, here I come.

I came off the interstate and set my foot into Gainesville for the first time. I was probably one of the very few international student to arrive here on the surface. I found my apartment complex quickly and my roommate, Sapon, was waiting for me. He helped me to take a few shots that I probably don't want to circulate publicly. But, for the sake of completeness, here they are.

This was the very moment I finished my 3,000-mile cross country trip. I have done it.

The joyful ending should be followed immediately by a salute to Whity. It deserved all of it.

To show I really loved the effort Whity put in to take me all the way here safely, I kissed it....

...and gave it a big hug.

Home, sweet home.... Well, it is just an empty room for now. Definitely need some work. But hell, I don't care now. It is so nice I don't have to hit the road tomorrow.

No comments: