Saturday, April 07, 2007

Suggestions on long distance driving

After driving a long way across the country, I think I am also in a good position to provide some advices on long-distance driving.

The single most important thing I would recommend is that one should have done sufficient homework on the map before hitting the road. You must know what's ahead and what's your limit. You should have a plan for each day about how much you drive and where you stop. If you don't like the constraints brought by a complete plan for everyday, at least set up check points for every three days. Try to set up a plan that you feel confident carrying it out. Don't be over-optimistic - your accuracy in assessing your capability in driving and finding the road has everything to do with a safe, enjoyable, and well-paced trip. If you drive slowly, if you have problem following the map and signs and tend to get lost, or if you simply don't like sitting in car 10 hours a day, take them into account when you make up a plan. If you would like to have time visiting tourist attractions, make such time available at your table at home, not on the road. The most frustrating thing on the road is to find out in the middle of a trip you have to change a lot of things to make it work out. I just cannot address enough how important a good trip plan is. Everything starts from there, and everything depends on it.

Once you draft a plan make yourself familiar with it. Get the relevant maps and other materials for reference. You should think over your trip plan enough so if someone comes and asks, "What do you do on the fifth day of your trip?" you can take a piece of paper and write down the plan and a rough map for that day. If you could not do so, you are not ready.

The next important thing in long distance driving is to take plenty of rest. Don't over stretch yourself. If you have a good plan you shouldn't have to. When you plan for your first long distance trip, always make a plan on the safe side. Don't over-estimate what you can do. Remember driving when you are tired is as dangerous as driving under the influence of alcohol. My opinion is frequent, short breaks are better than infrequent, long breaks. I took a 10 minute break every 1.5 hours or so (Basically, I go to every other rest area for a small break on the road). It works for me, and you need to figure out what works for you.

The third thing I want to bring your attention to is something I learned on this trip. Drive with a good sitting position. KEEP YOUR BACK COMPLETELY ON THE SEAT. I tend not to do this, especially when I am looking for directions or driving through heavy traffic - I tend to lean forward when I need to concentrate. This is a bad habit. It does not matter for short drive - so insignificant that I didn't realize I have such tendency although I drive for more than 10 years. But I had paid my price to learn this on the road. I had a very sore back after I drove for 540 miles on a day, and got worse the next day for another 300 miles. I reached a point I almost couldn't hang on, but later figured out a better driving position solved half of the problem. you may need some work to find out the best driving position for you. It is the little things that count when you have more than 10 days on the road.

And, of course, follow the common sense and do what you should do when driving. Use your safe belt. Don't drink and drive. I think we are all mature enough to follow these rules.

1 comment:

Lili said...

Hi there! This is Leftbank from BBS. Thanks so much for your suggestions. I subscribe to your feed now. :-) I am working on car rentals-- very excited! A friend used to say, to take a trip, the joy resulting in expectations beforehand and memories afterwards is everything-- if the trip proves to be enjoyable, that's the bonus! I think I am already enjoying my trip now. :-)

It's comforting to see you and others sharing your experiences. My (American) friends warned me against taking the trip. They were like, "you would regret it before Texas, but it would be too late to turn back!" I guess the only concern I have for now is safety. I drive OK, and since I plan to stop before dark I am not really worried about highway robberies. But I am afraid to be pulled over by police in the middle of nowhere. I guess the worry is also part of the preparation, so I will try to enjoy even that. :-)

Thanks again!