Sunday, May 20, 2007

Who's travelling?

As I travel, I am always curious about who else is traveling the similar places. I tend to keep my eyes open and look around, and here are my observations on the road for this time.

As California is a state with large population, it is common to see Californian in the neighbor states. When I was at Vegas, I thought at least every 3 cars out of 10 on the strip were from California. As I moved into the East further, the ratio decreased but I still saw California car plates regularly all the way until perhaps I was in Kansas.

The composition of tourists is also interesting to observe. In Vegas, there are virtually tourists from every corner of the world. I saw representatives of almost every ethnic group there. But, as I moved on to the national parks in Utah, it seemed to me that Europeans were the largest foreign visitor group in these places at least for the days I stayed.

As my major in school is EE/CS, you can imagine that I am always surrounded by fellow students from India. As I traveled, I didn't see many Indians around and I started to miss them. I remember when I checked in at the hotel at Denver, there was an Indian standing behind me in the line, and I had to control myself not to jump to her and give her a hug. It is weird that there are situations in life that I am so used to, that I don't feel it until I sit in a completely different setting.

Finally, along the way I saw several people doing the same thing as I did - moving with the car. Some used U-haul, the others packed their passenger cars as I did. Some of them traveled with pets, so they had to walk them in the rest areas for exercise. I saw people moving all along the way, so I knew I was not alone. Although I didn't talk with any of them, I wished them the best of luck and have a safe trip wherever they were moving to.

A U-haul at a Motel6.

A budget truck, with the passenger car served as a trailer.

Another U-haul.

No comments: